I'm in a bird-appreciation mood today, in all 3 of my blogs. The Blackbirds in our garden are delightful. They work so hard finding food. A side benefit is that their efforts aerate the soil and mulch.
The best thing about Blackbirds though, in my opinion, is that in the dead of night (just like in Paul and John's song) .... when sleep sometimes won't come, there's that purest of pure, trilling, beautiful song - never fails to put a smile on my face!

Ahhhh Susan, So true about the sweet songs that our birds make. All of them so comfortable in their own skin, so to speak. :-)
ReplyDeleteCherri
What i enjoy at the moment is watching them carrying twigs that are double their size to build their nest!
ReplyDeleteAnd they work non-stop!
Spring is really in the air...
Have a beautiful week-end.
DeeBee
We don't get blackbirds here :( The closest we get to anything similar are our starlings, much maligned, but I love them and their songs!
ReplyDeleteThe mention of blackbirds always reminds me of the nursery rhyme about baking 24 in a pie for the king!
~ Hi Cherri!, yes, that's so right. At the moment, we're inundated with birdsong - it's so enjoyable isn't it :D)
ReplyDelete~ DeeBee, hello. They're so industrious aren't they. Enjoy your Spring, we're having a gorgeous Autumn, and thank you for your good wishes.
~ Desiree, ah, yes,like your starlings, our blackbirds can be a bit naughty. Gardeners who have a lot of mulch near paths suffer badly when the blackbirds pick through and toss the mulch willy-nilly. My garden is a bit of a hotch potch, so misplaced mulch isn't an issue ;-)
I love the song of a blackbird it's a feel good song when all is right with the world
ReplyDeleteSinging in the night ... I never knew that ... but we don't see blackbirds here.
ReplyDeleteBlackbirds get no love from the ocd straight-lines gardener in me, they flick my mulch everywhere! >:(
ReplyDeleteThey are pretty though.. in someone else's garden. ;)
I'm a blackbird fan too the way they scurry about and seem to prefer to run away than fly. Very entertaining and the source of many of my smiles.
ReplyDelete~ Cathy, yes, and its during the night, when all is quiet, that their sweet song is best heard, I feel :D)
ReplyDelete~ Joan Elizabeth, it's quite unusual isn't it (the night singing). I was presuming their habitats were quite well spread.
~ Kat, oh dear ... yes, I know they're the bane of some gardeners' lives. Our neighbour has plastic netting, wire netting etc all over her mulch - and here am I, encouraging them ;-)
~ Hi Tammy, welcome to my blog! Yes, 'scurry' is right... I sit and watch them from the verandah - they're so busy all the time. Out in the rain all day today - makes no difference to them :D)
...blackbirds...starlings...crows....even though they're sizes may differ...don't they all kind of have the same personality traits? a little mischievous? loud talkers...determined...and protective...
ReplyDelete'bird appreciation'...i like that!
have a happy day!
~ Laura, yep, I'd reckon you're right... the blackbirds have the added bonus of their willingness to give us a song late at night - which I love. Cheers :D)
ReplyDeleteI've never had a problem sleeping - sounds beautiful though. Thanks for the comment on my blog about the runner - me email is stuffed at the moment and I cant respond to people which is annoying.
ReplyDeleteSusan beautiful shot. My daughter loves blackbirds so much she got a tattoo of one. I love their song also. B
ReplyDeleteI remember that the blackbird was one of the first I learned about and could always recognise it by its yellow beak. I guess yours is a different subspecies.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, its song is very beautiful. Nice picture, it looks like it was in a hurry.
I just had to leave you another comment . . . last night my big boy was sick sick sick, and I had to get up in the night. Would you believe it, I was lying in bed trying to get back to sleep, and I heard the bird . . . I thought of you and had a little sleepy smile.
ReplyDeleteI see blackbirds are quite popular! Here they are huge birds and very mischeivous (sp?) and have a loud CAW CAW call. They don't sing in the dead of the night. My grandmother would tame the babes that fell from the nest and she named them all Jim Crow (a reference to bygone slavery times). For some reason they disappeared for a number of years but they are back and one is nesting in the neighbors yard.
ReplyDelete~ Hello Anne, by the time I read this, your second comment appeared. Hope your big boy is feeling a lot better now ... oh, those night sickies are awful - for both concerned aren't they.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you let me know you heard the blackbird like that... it's definitely one of life's little pleasures :D)
~ Buttons, hi :D), what a great tattoo that would make - very distinctive too! Tattoos run in our family as well and, oh, they're all so individual and beautiful.
~ Hi Lavi, yes, there are many varieties of blackbirds. This is the female I photographed.. her partner has the yellow beak.
Ha ha, right! Both the blackbird and I were in a hurry when this photo was taken - she, to find her worm, and me to get a snap (through the window):D)
~ Hi Mary, it must have been fun, you being around your grandmother's birds. What a kind lady to raise them like that :D). Over here there are similar birds to what you describe that give out that caw caw sound. In our travelling days we saw them a lot out in the remote desert country too. Whenever I hear that call, I immediately think of one of our camping spots!
Now that I read your reply, I must say you have very clean windows.
ReplyDeleteI dropped by to say that mr dumdum has caught a cold, so he'll be taking a while with the button.