I took these photos at Paynesville..... not in the mist, but in the smoke drift from the recent fires at Tostaree, East Gippsland.
Some 11,365 ha were burnt along with several homes, sheds and fences, but, fortunately, there was no loss of life. It was declared contained over the weekend.
Floods and fires around the country... what a devastating time it's been (and still is) for some.



Yes, it makes you wonder if this will ever stop or is this something we are all going to have to live with. It's just so sad to see. We all have to start to look after each other and do what we can to help.
ReplyDeleteTwo years ago I lived down south, near the mountains and the bushfires came so close,the ash was dropping on our roof, It was quite frightening. The the smoke was suffocating and all I could do was stay indoors with everything closed up tight. I'm so glad we no longer have to live with the threat of a bushfire. Maa.
I had to do the math to convert to a unit I understand. That is a LOT of area. Good to know there was no loss of life.
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures (they look so dreamy)...not great hearing it was smoke from runaway fires! Pleased to know they're now under control!
ReplyDeleteOh, gosh! Fire is a terrible thing. I hope every stay safe and they can get the fires under control.
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
~ Hi Maa, yes I do know what you mean about it feeling frightening. We experienced the burning leaves and ashes in our yard, as well as the Mars-like sky, some years ago - at that time we'd made no real fire plan and had to stay put. Felt just a hint of the fear and helplessness others experienced full on. Our fire plan has been made for the future - grab a few pre-determined items and go!!
ReplyDelete~ Mary, the emergency services and volunteers do a wonderful job ... people are already talking about rebuilding too :)
~ Desiree, thank you, it was strange looking out there ... the lone canoeist had quite a pace up too :)
~ Linda, Hi and welcome to my blog :)
Yes, everything's under control. Speculation is continuing of course as to how it started.
~ We saw a documentary on Sunday which showed how quickly the bush has regenerated from the Black Saturday fires - (for the benefit of overseas bloggers: a lot of Australian natives need fire in order to keep re-seeding and growing). Some plants are now growing that haven't been seen for many decades!
Bushfire smoke sure makes eerie pictures. Did you hear there is a cyclone near darwin now.
ReplyDeleteHi there Diane, yes, caught it on tonight's news .... incredible isn't it :O
ReplyDeletehonestly....it's just one thing after another.... what the heck is going on with the poor old world.
ReplyDelete~ BumbleVee, that's so right - and now the poor folk in Darwin have copped a drenching along with 100kph winds. Enough already!
ReplyDeleteThose poor people. It looks so beautiful but that is horrible. I hope they get normal weather soon.B
ReplyDelete