This was the delightful view right outside our lounge room window one sunny morning. Triplet baby Wattlebirds waiting for Mum to gather nectar from the Grevillea flowers for their brekky.
Such a peaceful scene........
....... until Mum came back, then all hell broke loose. It was every baby bird for itself !!
Screeching and fighting .....
In the end, Mum did what all good Mums do..... gave them a lesson in manners - "Not until I hear the magic word"
Thanks Diane :D They are the Red Wattlebird who are the self-proclaimed rulers of our Grevillea Superb growing right outside the loungeroom window. Quite a robust bird, they spend a lot of their day defending their territory with their loud "quock-quock" calls. However, the sweet little Eastern Spinebills (as in my title pic which was taken in the same tree) enjoy outsmarting the Wattlebirds and also supping on the nectar.
How adorable. So sweet and innocent one moment... out for blood the next. Survival of the fittest.
Our baby Wattlebirds have all grown up, and much to the relief of all the other birds, the parents have stopped terrorising anything within a 200m radius. :)
Hi Vicki, LOL, yes, Wattlebirds reign supreme don't they. You'd know what I mean when I say we're amazed at the variety of calls and sounds they make too. Have been fooled into thinking it's some other bird on the plot :D
Hi Susan, just looking thru your blog-many posts I haven't seen since we started following. This is wonderful. It's so hard to capture a group of birds sitting still. And a treat to get to see any mom in the animal world teaching her young.
A great series of photos. I've never heard of a Wattle bird. I learn something new everyday when blogging.
ReplyDeleteThanks Diane :D
ReplyDeleteThey are the Red Wattlebird who are the self-proclaimed rulers of our Grevillea Superb growing right outside the loungeroom window.
Quite a robust bird, they spend a lot of their day defending their territory with their loud "quock-quock" calls.
However, the sweet little Eastern Spinebills (as in my title pic which was taken in the same tree) enjoy outsmarting the Wattlebirds and also supping on the nectar.
How adorable. So sweet and innocent one moment... out for blood the next. Survival of the fittest.
ReplyDeleteOur baby Wattlebirds have all grown up, and much to the relief of all the other birds, the parents have stopped terrorising anything within a 200m radius. :)
Hi Vicki,
ReplyDeleteLOL, yes, Wattlebirds reign supreme don't they.
You'd know what I mean when I say we're amazed at the variety of calls and sounds they make too. Have been fooled into thinking it's some other bird on the plot :D
Hi Susan, just looking thru your blog-many posts I haven't seen since we started following. This is wonderful. It's so hard to capture a group of birds sitting still. And a treat to get to see any mom in the animal world teaching her young.
ReplyDelete