Monday, October 18, 2010

The Chook Chronicles # 2 Whitey, the Lieutenant


THE CHOOK CHRONICLES
share the ups and downs of life in the chookyard with a great bunch of girls
(Blackie, Whitey, Jessica, Paris and The Two Kittys)


WHITEY


I like to snuggle in the straw,
 take my time and lay my eggs.
I tried to be a Mother Hen once, but
it didn't happen..... perhaps
one day


I was a bit nervous on my first day in our
new home, but very excited too


Blackie and I had a little
meeting in our carry cage and decided
that I'll be second-in-charge


WHITEY’S BIO:
~she’s a Light Barred Plymouth Rock 
~together with Blackie, she was first to take up residence in the chookyard
~because of her dazzling white stripes and the two pretty white splotches next to each of her eyes,  she was named Whitey

Position on the Who-Rules-the-Roost Ladder: Whitey is on the second rung and proudly holds the position of Blackie’s Lieutenant. She carries out Blackie’s orders when necessary. However, the others have finally acknowledged their positions in the hierarchy and don’t need reminding quite so frequently. But Whitey is ever vigilant.

Personality: Quiet and sometimes timid (but not when backing up Blackie!). She nearly became a Mother Hen once after giving her all, sitting on a clutch of fertilized eggs purchased from the Chookmistress who runs the chookyard of Whitey’s birth. However, due to a series of mishaps and general bad luck, it was not to be.  The other chooks only talk about Whitey’s traumatic times in hushed bok boks.




4 comments:

  1. oh I would love to have a few girls in the backyard! We had chooks growing up and I love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, I think I can see chooks in your life some day in the future eh!

    Yes, who could not love chooks... just standing watching them can be addictive! Then, they give us eggs on top of the entertainment ;-)

    Thanks for dropping by Linda. I must say too that I really enjoy the retro theme of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitey is a very proud looking bird. Gorgeous.

    "The other chooks only talk about Whitey’s traumatic times in hushed bok boks." I can just imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D Whitey has the most gorgeous chest feathers too ... I've been trying to photograph one, a bit hard to choose the right background.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx