~ early bird this morning, so cranked up the little netbook and thought I'd go for another tour through Joan Elizabeth's blog. She certainly stirs up all sorts of memories of our grey nomad times. One post in particular, in Sweet Wayfaring where she talks about wildflowers found on a short walk, reminded me of a couple we met up with while travelling across the Nullabor.
At the time, we were travelling in our 4WD and had pulled in off the highway to set up our tent. Shortly after, a car and caravan arrived and parked just a few feet from us.
Anyway, the fellow wanders over for a yarn. Upshot was that he was bored, totally, and couldn't wait to put this part of his own country behind him. "Nothing to see, just a great long boring highway that doesn't end!".
Tloml and I just looked at each other and mentally agreed it wasn't worth wasting our breath, his decision had been made. We reckoned he'd get back to his home state, happy in the knowledge he'd seen all the well known tourist spots - as quickly as possible!! That's it... job done... been around Australia.
...and then there's folk like Joan and her husband!
So true. My Bill is a little like that just drives to get there. I have to nag to get him to stop and have a look.
ReplyDeletelol, yes, never know what surprises are out there do we. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely reference. I am looking forward to being able to go even slower than we can do today.
ReplyDeleteI have travelled quite a lot overseas while working and have loved most of it but I and don't care in the least if I only get to see Australia from now on.
That's ok Joan, you're welcome. I love to share great blogs.
ReplyDeleteYes, it is such a pleasure when you can plan your day on an "as wants" rather than an "as needs" basis.
Re: your last sentence. The narrators on shows like Getaway etc drive us crazy with some of their comments. They might be standing on a beautiful stretch of Australian shoreline for example, and they'd say something like "this is so good you'd almost think you were in ..." and they'd name a place in another part of the world. Now, I'm not knocking the rest of the world, there are places of great beauty in every land; I'm in awe of and take delight in them. However, there's nothing wrong in appreciating our own country for it's breathtaking scenery and exquisite treasures either!
Whew, nearly got on my soapbox then ... ha ha!
Thanks for your visit :D