Sunday, September 19, 2010

how sweet it is

~ a bit of a spread featuring our bees.

We keep Italian Bees and they enjoy the nectar from
just about everything that flowers
(including weeds) in our garden
Here's busy little Bellissa working real hard on a Gallardia flower

Poor Carmelita is worried that Donella and Emilia are getting
a head start on the nectar from the Grevillea Superb!
........plenty to go around ladies.
~ harvesting the honey

My Husband fires up the smoker.
The smoke calms the bees.


First frame is out

Gently brushing away the bees

The wax capping over the honey needs to be removed

The honey is now ready for the
extraction process

The Extractor

Into the hand-cranked extractor
which takes 3 frames at a time.
What a labour-saving device this is!

The honey starts flowing.
The lumpy bits are small pieces
of wax which are removed once the honey drips through the
double wire mesh filter.

Bottling up.  I quickly learnt the right way to do it !!

Our yield of 15 kgs - Yay, honey for everyone  !!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think.  Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. (A.A. Milne)

8 comments:

  1. You guys are so brave... I would be so afraid of working with anything that stings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a while for me to get used to the idea I have to admit!
    My Husband can be near them and do maintenance without his suit on, he's a quiet, calm person. Apparently, bees can sense fear.
    Me, I always get one or two warning fly-by buzzes but haven't been stung... so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! that's sooo interesting!! i've thought about what it would be like to raise the bees for honey...but i'm not sure if i could do that! well, then again...if i had the opportunity to try it...i prob would! nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Laura, I'm so enjoying this blogginess, especially the people I meet. Always been a bit awkward in that particular area!
    The keeping of bees, yes, that's just one of the things I love about my Husband, he's always willing to give new stuff a go. I reap the benefits.
    He's a considerate beekeeper too, always leaves behind a full frame of honey after each harvest to tide them over until the weather warms up. It's theirs after all!
    The world of bees is simply fascinating, and I don't say that lightly - we're knocked out at what incredible little creatures they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow 15 kg that is a saving. How clever you both are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Diane! Yes, we are lavish honey users now, and forever experimenting. I substitute honey in lots of recipes instead of sugar. I even had a mad idea once of whipping up honey, aloe vera and some moisturiser together for a luxury face cream.... aaaah, if you can imagine sticky and slimey - on your face! Not a good feel. lol !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am very impressed and have Hive Envy! I would love some bees here one day, but they will have to stay on the to-have-and-to-do list for a while longer. Love your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping by Nallerang Creek. Hope you do get some bees one day, they'd love to sup from all those bountiful plants you're growing.
    Must say, I'm back at you, but with Fig Envy! Read on your "currently harvesting" list that yours are ripe... oh, they're my idea of little purses of sheer delight. Ours are in strong bud at the moment, so I have to be patient but when they ripen they're mine all mine!!! (My Husband grows them for me but he doesn't like their taste)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, it is still necessary to keep Comment Moderation on!

Thank you blogfriends...your visit is much appreciated :D) xx